Business Email Compromise is defined by the National Cyber Security Centre as a Phishing attack where the Cyber Criminals attempt to trick a senior executive into transferring funds or revealing sensitive information.
The FBI defines the steps of the Business Email Compromise Timeline as:
- Identifying a Target.
- Grooming the Target through Spear Phishing emails.
- Exchange of Information.
- Wire Transfer by the Victim.
How can you prevent a Business Email Compromise attack occurring?
Multiple steps should be taken to help prevent against a Business Email Compromise taking place:
- Multi-factor authentication prevents Cyber Criminals having easy access to your email accounts.
- Monitor your email platform for changes.
- Ensure email clients are connected securely and kept up to date.
Implementing Chalkline’s Security Bundle including multi-factor authentication and email monitoring prevents Cyber Criminals launching a Business Email Compromise attack.
Call Chalkline today on 020 3819 3300 or review our IT Security Packages for SMBs page and book a meeting with us. We can help with all elements of cyber hygiene and answer any questions you might have.